Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Midwinter Rag Rug Project



 Last summer, for my birthday, MMM's mom gave me a rug-making kit.  And just for good measure, she got herself one, too. Because we were very busy with summertime tasks - gardening, for instance, we decided that we'd put off this particular kit until wintertime.  This lovely gift came with an instructional DVD.  I have to confess, right up front, that I was going to try to do a picture tutorial with this post, but I realized, after looking at my pitiful (hard-to-describe) pictures, that a tutorial of this sort really has to be a video.  So, I am buying yardage towards the next rug, and perhaps, I'll film a video tutorial, once I have enough fabric to roll with that future rug. OK?  Stay tuned!

These rugs have a lovely primitive feel - and the colors that came in the kit emphasize that, as well.  That ball of strips in the picture up top?  That ball is about the size of a regulation basketball and it contains twelve yards of fabric, cut into 2 inch wide strips, and joined together.


These have also been called toothbrush rugs.  Apparently, the first large crochet hooks that were used to make these rugs were DIY'd out of old toothbrushes.  My kit came with a lovely big hook, so I didn't have to sacrifice a toothbrush for this  rug-making venture.

I worked out this rug once, ripped out the whole thing, and did it over again.  It had a big bump in the center, and wouldn't lie flat.   It deserved to be ripped out.  But on the second try, it really came out well and sure worked up fast.  Just one of those single crochet stitches uses nine inches of fabric, so you can imagine how fast you can burn through the yardage.


Well, what do you think?  I really had fun making this rug.  I want to make a room sized one.  Hope you like it!

Love,

Sass



7 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make a rag rug, I'm waiting until after I move though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors are great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The primitive feel of this rug is what makes it so great! We are your newest followers! Come stop by bringingbeauty.blogspot.com - we'd love for you to follow us back !

    ReplyDelete
  4. great rug! I love the colors :) how big of a rug were you able to make out of that amount of fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Allison - Thanks so much. The finished rug (the one laid out on the rock) was made from twelve yards of fabric, and it's about 30" x 36".

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful rag rug. I love those rich colors!

    Thank you so much for sharing your talent and creativity on “A Little Birdie Told Me…” Tuesday this past week! It means a lot to have you be one of our birds of a feather! I hope the party has brought some good things your way.
    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...