Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Pair of Lacy Scarves

While I was busy keeping my hands busy at a conference last week, I churned out a couple of lacy scarves from regular old yarn from Walmart.  I don't remember exactly the brand, but you know, it's just the regular skein in a standard weight - essentially, sort of standard, make-an-afghan type yarn.  I loved the colors, knew that it would take no thought to crochet these, and felt confident that I had a pretty good vision of what I wanted.  

The first is this pretty flecked sage green:


 


The other is variegated - seems like every shade of nature is in there!


 

I particularly love the rust against the turquoise.  

To create one of these is pretty simple.  Chain between 250 and 300, then go back on the chain, skipping three, joining, and then chaining five, repeating until you've done a circuit of both sides of the original chain.  Then, work in the loops you've created, chaining five, then single crocheting into each loop to create the scallop-y lace.  I added some extra loops on the ends to be sure that the scarf would lie flat.  I just kept going until I felt like it was wide enough to make me happy.  When I finished, I pressed the scarf with a damp towel, shaping as I ironed.  The ironing takes the body out of the yarn, and makes it feel delicate. 

I sure like these a lot.  What do you think?

Love,

Sass

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness these are both so pretty! You are really talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful, if I ever manage to learn to crochet I shall definitely be attempting to make one of these

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful scarves, I love them both! Saw your link at Creative Juice to find you and glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love these! I wish I could do something like this. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really beautiful! I'm addicted to crocheting scarves right now and this is just what I need for a new look! So creative! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...