Saturday, June 9, 2012

Saturday Sneak Peek - Six Table Doilies


Look across at my new tab and you can see all my wedding sneak peeks in one place!



I realize that I have been a good deal less than faithful about getting a Saturday Sneak Peek up every Saturday.  It's not an easy task - primarily because I have been making multiples of items to decorate the wedding.  I showed you my bottle corsages, and it's lovely to see them, but I can only show them to you once.  Meanwhile, I'm have to make forty of them.  So, while it seems that I've not been busy, the truth is, I've been extremely busy.  Remember, that I've committed to doing everything for this wedding from thrift or homemade, within reason.  As of today, I still have the following list to complete:

1.  Finish the rest of the bottle corsages;
2.  Finish the chandeliers to hang from tree branches;
3.  Sew my skirt;
4.  Finish crocheting my sweater  (I'm nearly done);
5.  Find an acceptable wedding cake recipe (one I've tried was fine, the other, totally not);
6.  Continue to hunt down thrifted luncheon plates;
7.  Get all those flowers I made up onto stems and wrap them (arranging will have to happen later, when the vases are ready - that story later);
8.  Construct a platform out of pallets with columns to support a chuppah;
9.  Mail invitations (that's happening this week.  I can't wait to share with you next week!);
10.  Make caketop decor out of fondant and freeze for later; and
11.  Work out the vows.

There are probably one or two other tasks I haven't listed, and there are definitely some last minute ones, like shopping for food for the actual event.  But I am pleased that at least one item can be completely crossed off my list.  

I wanted to have a pretty doily in the center of each of the tables - there will only be six, so this was supposed to be a pretty quick and easy project.  Ha ha.  I didn't realize how much time it would take, never having worked in crochet this tiny before.  You could pretty much have counted on my sitting every evening in front of the TV, my fingers flying, (and I'm pretty darned fast, if I do say so myself), but along with all the other projects - scarves, jewelry, furniture, paintings, crafts, arrangements, etc. - it has taken me about four months to confidently say this project is done.  But here it is:


 I found this fabric at a local thrift store.  It's 100% cotton muslin, natural and unbleached.  It think the fabric was actually a set of old curtains.  I used the lid from my kitchen garbage for a pattern - it's one of those 'bullet' cans, sort of retro styled, and the lid is a big dome, which was the perfect size to get a perfect circle.  


Then I used my sewing machine to zig-zag the edges to prevent fraying.  If you've read many of my posts about crocheting, you know I'm a total idiot when it comes to reading patterns, so you know I just made each of these up as I went along.  


None of them match any of the others, except in color.  I really astonished myself.  I went through three rolls of the crochet thread.  There was a time when I could not imagine that much would be necessary or that I could stick with anything that long!


I really got into it, though, and enjoyed the process.  I imagine these will not be the last ones I make.


I like the way they stand out against the dark chocolate of the tablecloths.


I hope you enjoyed them.  Next week, the invites!!  Squeal!

Love,

Sass

1 comment:

  1. Your wedding is going to look wonderful, I love these doilies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...