Friday, June 22, 2012

A Trio of Growler Totes

MMM's favorite beer, by far, is the Blackfoot Brewing Company's India Pale Ale.  In truth, we infrequently stop by for a couple (with free popcorn for me, because I don't like beer - I think we've established, however, that I do like margaritas), but he likes to pick up a growler on the occasional Friday evening.


One day, as I sat in the recliner, crocheting away, as is my wont, he asked, "Do you think you could crochet a growler tote out of parachute cord?"  Parachute cord, as it turns out, is second only to the dog as man's best friend.  If ever you find yourself in a real fix, your situation could not help but be better if you had a growler tote constructed of parachute cord.  And thus, this project was born.  


I like the challenge of taking on new materials.  The parachute cord was not easy to crochet - it doesn't want to twist along easily, like yarn, so I had to man-handle it a bit, but I have to say, if the cord could talk, it probably would prefer that.


Then, when we were at Home Depot, I noticed mason's string, which is used to string a level line for a mason while building a brick wall, and thought, "Hey, I'll give that a try - orange is MMM's favorite color, after all."


Lastly, I crocheted one from the sturdy cotton twist I usually use to make my many crocheted dishcloths from.  I am very used to working with this stuff, and that tote just flew along!  So here's a nice collection, in manly shades of orange, blue, and green.


MMM likes them very much, and Mr. Waddles is apparently taken with them, as well.  As soon as I set these out on the steps to photograph them, he plunged into their midst and made himself comfortable.  He's quite the little photographer's model, and he's got the pretty-boy looks to hit it big-time!  He hung in there pretty well, while I snapped away.  He actually loved every minute; he loves being the center of attention -- the prince of the household.


One more, to make even the coldest heart melt.  Look at those big brown eyes! He's a charmer!

 

Love,

Sass

5 comments:

  1. Very creative! Love your pup, he is darling and such a natural in front of the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what type of stitch is it that you used?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance of getting a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, I am neither a pattern reader nor writer. I just used double crochet stitches to crochet a circle, increasing stitches to make it lie flat. I used the growler to decide when my circle was large enough - with a little extra generosity to make sure it could slide in and out without difficulty, then quit doing the increase to make the circle curve upward around the base of the growler. I continued to 'double crochet, chain, double crochet, chain', esentially working in a spiral (i didn't mark or count rows - until I reached a height that would encompass the growler. I tied it off good and tight, since it would have to bear the weight of a gallon of beer, then crocheted a drawstring to weave through the top set of double crochet holes. That's kind of it. I know it's not great, as far as directions go, but I never really learned to read a pattern. I intend to one of these days, although I've been a pretty successful freeform crocheter for a lot of years without that particular skill.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...